On Jan 15, 2009, at 8:43 AM, Murat Yakici wrote:

I am not aware of any open source LSA framework out there. If you are
interested in PLSA, Lemur has got an implementation.

In a "simplest" sense Lucene is using a type of TFIDF scoring mechanism. If you are not really concerned with Lucene's particular implementation, then just use Lemur for your research purposes. I think Lemur is a better
choice for research than Lucene. It is got lots of other IR model
implementations that you can benchmark with.

You can benchmark with Lucene, see the Quality work in the contrib/ benchmark code. I've done a fair number of TREC experiments with Lucene, as have others, but they usually aren't all that practical in terms of deploying a real system. If your interested in pure theory, by all means do the TREC stuff, if you want practical evaluations, I recommend gathering queries from your logs and ranking them.