Matt Schraeder wrote:
I've got a simple Lucene index and search built for testing purposes. So far everything seems great. Most searches take 0.02 seconds or less.
Searches with 4-5 terms take 0.25 seconds or less.  However, once I
began playing with fuzzy searches everything seemed to really slow down.
 A fuzzy search seems to take vastly longer time, 6 seconds for a single
term such as "cow~" and 24 seconds for fuzzy searches of multiple
terms.
Is there anything I can do to speed up fuzzy searches or are they by default just simply slow? My index is only 6.1M, with ~18000 documents. Each document has 5
fields, a combination of text and keywords. I'm afraid that when I begin
to scale up to have more fields it will only make the problem worse.

You might try setting a longer prefix. Fuzzy queries don't scale by the way. By default they enumerate every unique term. How many unique terms do you have in the index?

- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com