>>> erickerick...@gmail.com 4/2/2009 10:24:42 AM >>>
>This seems really odd, especially with an index that size. The
>first question is usually "Do you open an IndexReader for
>each query?"

I'm using the Zend_Search_Lucene implementation so I'm really not sure
how it handles the IndexReader.  At the top of the script I open the
index and do searches on it.  Unless Zend is doing something special in
the background I'm assuming I'm using the IndexReader on a per-page
basis.  I haven't been able to find any information on this yet, but
from all the examples I've been reading none of them say to keep the
index in a session to improve speed.  I'll have to get on the zend
mailing lists to find out more about best practices.

>>> markrmil...@gmail.com 4/2/2009 10:40:59 AM >>>
>You might try setting a longer prefix. Fuzzy queries don't scale by
the
>way. By default they enumerate every unique term. How many unique
terms
>do you have in the index?

I'll look at a longer prefix setting, as the reply above mentioned the
improving search speed article.  Currently my index has 104076 terms in
it.