: Sorry, here's the example I meant to show. Doc 1 and doc 2 both contain the
: terms "hey look, the quick brown fox jumped very high", but in Doc 1 all the
: terms are indexed at the same position. In doc 2, the terms are indexed in
: adjacent positions (normal way). For the query "the quick brown fox", doc 1
: will score higher than doc 2 because the sloppyFreq = 1/2 for doc 1 and 1/5
: for doc 2. So, the term frequency factor for the score takes into account
: both the number of matching terms and the distance between them.
:
: This is fine for most span queries with more than 1 term (i guess), but  I'd
: still suggest that a simple SpanTermQuery should behave more like TermQuery

I don't disagree with you ... that's why i said...

>> I suppose SpanTermQuery could override the weight/scorer methods so
>> that it behaved more like a TermQuery if it was executed directly ...

...especially since BoostingTermQuery subclasses SpanTermQuery.

-Hoss