Sorry for the slow response.

It's really not clear when 2.9 will be released.  We have accumulated
a number of good improvements -- higher performance field sorting, new
higher performance Collector (replaces HitCollector) API,
segment-based searching, attaching a String label to each commit from
IndexWriter, new TokenStream API, near real-time searching,
refactoring of MultiTermQuery & its subclasses, new TrieRangeQuery
does much faster numeric range searching, cloning IndexReader, and
other stuff, so I think we really should do a release soon.

The challenge is development is very active right now -- there are
many interesting improvements in flight still.

So it's not clear.

Mike