I just cut'n'pasted your word into Solr... it worked fine (it didn't
split the word).
Make sure you're using the latest from the trunk version of Solr...
this was fixed since 1.3

http://localhost:8983/solr/select?q=साल&debugQuery=true
[...]
<lst name="debug">
  <str name="rawquerystring">साल</str>
  <str name="querystring">साल</str>
  <str name="parsedquery">text:साल</str>
  <str name="parsedquery_toString">text:साल</str>

-Yonik