Hey there, that makes things easier. :)

ok here are some questions:

Do you iterate over all docs calling hits.doc(i) ?If so do you have to
load all fields to render your results, if not you should not retrieve
all of them?
You use IndexSearchersearch(Query q,...) which returns a Hits object
have you tried to use the new search methods returning TopDocs?

when you search for pdf and get 30k results you load all the "stored"
field content into memory once you call IndexSearcher.doc(i) as it
internally calls IndexReader.document(i, null). This is equivalent to
a "Load All fields" FieldSelector.
You can have a closer look at FieldSelector and the new search methods
which accept them. This is a way to make you retrieval faster and load
only the fields you really need.