Hi,

I still am new to Lucene, but I think I have an initial indexer app (based on
the demo IndexFiles app) working, and also have a web app, based on the demo
luceneweb web app working.

I'm still busy tweaking both, but am starting to think ahead, about operational
type issues, esp. updating indexes.

The situation I have is a little specific.  In particular, once a document is
indexed via Lucene, we will, theoretically, never need to or want to remove
that document.  But, we will have new documents that will need to be added
periodically.

In other words, I think the terminology would be that we woud just be
"inserting" documents (and updating the Lucene index), never "updating" or
"deleting" documents.

>From some research I've done, it seems like the way to accomplish this would
>be to just add the new documents, using Document.add(), as I did with the
>initial indexer, but having a new "update" app that makes sure that it is only
>adding documents that have not been added previously.

Is this correct?

Assuming that the above is correct, is it going to be possible to keep the
search web app running while the new update app is doing its job?

Are there things that I need to worry about in the update app, such as locking,
etc.?   Note that we would only have a single update app running, i.e., we
won't have any situations where we'd have multiple updates running
simultaneously.

If so, what are they?

Specifically, what I'm looking for is, other than ensuring not to add
previously-added documents, what is different between the original indexer code
and the update indexer code?

Thanks,
Jim