You're pretty much spot on.  Read the FAQ entry "Does Lucene allow
searching and indexing simultaneously?" for one of your questions (the
answer is yes btw).  With only a single update app running there won't
be any locking issues.  When the updater code opens the index you'll
need to ensure that it doesn't create a new index, otherwise carry on
calling Document.add() as before.

--
Ian.