Hi

Thanks for your reponse.  Here is the following testcase:

public class UnderwriterReferenceTest {
    private Directory directory;
    private Analyzer analyzer;
    private IndexSearcher indexSearcher;
    private IndexWriter indexWriter;
    private Document layerDocumentA;

    @Before
    public void setUp() throws Exception {
        directory = new RAMDirectory();
        analyzer = new StandardAnalyzer();
        indexWriter = new IndexWriter(directory, analyzer,
IndexWriter.MaxFieldLength.UNLIMITED);

    }

   @Before
   public void setUpDocumentsForIndexing() throws Exception {

       Field uw1 = new Field("uw-refernce", "hello", Field.Store.NO,
Field.Index.ANALYZED);
       Field uw2 = new Field("uw-refernce", "bye", Field.Store.NO,
Field.Index.ANALYZED);

       Field uw1UWA = new Field("uw-uwa", "hello", Field.Store.NO,
Field.Index.ANALYZED);
       Field uw2UWB = new Field("uw-uwb", "bye", Field.Store.NO,
Field.Index.ANALYZED);

       layerDocumentA = new Document();
       layerDocumentA.add(uw1);
       layerDocumentA.add(uw1);
       layerDocumentA.add(uw1UWA);
       layerDocumentA.add(uw2UWB);
   }

    @Test
    public void
testUWBCannotSeeResultIfUWReferenceIsSearchThatDoesNotBelongToUWB() throws
Exception {
        indexWriter.addDocument(layerDocumentA);
        indexWriter.commit();
        indexWriter.close();

        indexSearcher = new IndexSearcher(directory);

        UnderwriterReferenceFilter filter = new
UnderwriterReferenceFilter();
        filter.setUwId("uwb");
        filter.setTermValue("hello");

        QueryParser queryParser = new QueryParser("uw-refernce", analyzer);
        Query q = queryParser.parse("hello");
        TopDocs topDocs = indexSearcher.search(q, filter, 100);
        long end = System.currentTimeMillis();
        System.out.println("Total time taken to search = " + (end - start) +
" milli seconds");
        System.out.println("Total results returned = " + topDocs.totalHits);
        assertNotNull(topDocs);
        assertEquals(0, topDocs.totalHits);
    }

    @Test
    public void
testUWACanSeeResultIfUWReferenceIsSearchThatDoesBelongToUWA() throws
Exception {
        indexWriter.addDocument(layerDocumentA);
        indexWriter.commit();
        indexWriter.close();

        indexSearcher = new IndexSearcher(directory);

        UnderwriterReferenceFilter filter = new
UnderwriterReferenceFilter();
        filter.setUwId("uwa");
        filter.setTermValue("hello");

        QueryParser queryParser = new QueryParser("uw-refernce", analyzer);
        Query q = queryParser.parse("hello");
        TopDocs topDocs = indexSearcher.search(q, filter, 100);
        long end = System.currentTimeMillis();
        System.out.println("Total time taken to search = " + (end - start) +
" milli seconds");
        System.out.println("Total results returned = " + topDocs.totalHits);
        assertNotNull(topDocs);
        assertEquals(1, topDocs.totalHits);
    }

    @Test
    public void testUWBCanSeeResultIfSearchTermMatchesOnSomethingElse()
throws Exception {

        Field data = new Field("data", "hello", Field.Store.NO,
Field.Index.ANALYZED);
        layerDocumentA.add(data);
        indexWriter.addDocument(layerDocumentA);
        indexWriter.commit();
        indexWriter.close();

        indexSearcher = new IndexSearcher(directory);

        UnderwriterReferenceFilter filter = new
UnderwriterReferenceFilter();

        MultiFieldQueryParser queryParser = new MultiFieldQueryParser(new
String[]{"uw-refernce", "data"}, analyzer);
        queryParser.enable_tracing();
        Query q = queryParser.parse("hello");

        TopDocs topDocs = indexSearcher.search(q, filter, 100);
        long end = System.currentTimeMillis();
        System.out.println("Total time taken to search = " + (end - start) +
" milli seconds");
        System.out.println("Total results returned = " + topDocs.totalHits);
        assertNotNull(topDocs);
        assertEquals(1, topDocs.totalHits);

    }

   private class UnderwriterReferenceFilter extends Filter {

    private String uwId;
    private String termValue;

    public void setTermValue(String termValue) {
       this.termValue = termValue;
    }

    public void setUwId(String uwId) {
        this.uwId = uwId;
    }

    @Override
    public DocIdSet getDocIdSet(org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader reader)
throws java.io.IOException  {
        if (uwId == null || "".equals(uwId)) {
            throw new IllegalArgumentException("uwidnot set for filtering");
        }

        OpenBitSet bitSet = new OpenBitSet( reader.maxDoc());
        Term term = new Term("uw-"+uwId, termValue);
        TermDocs termDocs = reader.termDocs( term );
        while ( termDocs.next() ) {
            bitSet.set( termDocs.doc() );
        }

        return bitSet;

As you can see I am using a filter to filter out results based on uwId.  Is
it possible to use the grouping that you mentioned within a filter or should
be implemented some other way for example appending the grouping concept
after recieveing the query from the user?

Thanks again for your input!

Cheers
Amin