Hmm... Lucene tries to catch the original cause (from the BG thread
doing the merge) and forward it to the main thread waiting for
optimize to complete.

Did you get any traceback printed at all?  It should include one
traceback into Lucene's optimized method, and then another (under
"caused by") showing the exception from the BG merge thread.

Did you see any BG thread exceptions on wherever your System.err is directed to?

Mike