Even running in console mode, the exception is difficult to interpret.
Here's an exception that I think occurred during an add document, commit or
close:
doc counts differ for segment _g: field Reader shows 137 but segmentInfo
shows 5777
I ensured that the disk space was low before updating the index.

On another occasion, the exception was:
background merge hit exception: _0:C1080260 _1:C139 _2:C123 _3:C107 _4:C126
_5:C121 _6:C126 _7:C711 _8:C116 into _9 [optimize] [mergeDocStores]
And the accompanying stack trace was:
java.io.IOException: read past EOF
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.refill(BufferedIndexInput.java:151)
        at
org.apache.lucene.store.BufferedIndexInput.readByte(BufferedIndexInput.java:38)
        at org.apache.lucene.store.IndexInput.readInt(IndexInput.java:70)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.FieldsReader.<init>(FieldsReader.java:110)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader$CoreReaders.openDocStores(SegmentReader.java:277)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.get(SegmentReader.java:640)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.get(SegmentReader.java:608)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter$ReaderPool.get(IndexWriter.java:679)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeMiddle(IndexWriter.java:4961)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.merge(IndexWriter.java:4596)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.resolveExternalSegments(IndexWriter.java:3786)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.addIndexesNoOptimize(IndexWriter.java:3695)

I guess this is just the nature of a low disk space condition on Windows. I
expected to see a 'no space left on device' IO exception.

Peter