I forgot:

For old 2.4 indexes this would also work, as the compressed fields appear as
uncompressed. So the detection with binary/string also works here.

Please note, as soon as you optimize or update old indexes, compressed
fields get automatically decompressed. But there is nothing to do from your
side!

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler