Just one thought...

For me it would be natural to be never confronted with the Version.xx thing in
the api unless you really need.
so f.e. having
        new QueryParser("", new KeywordAnalyzer()).parse("content: the");
as a default (probably using Version.LUCENE_CURRENT under the hood), but having
        new QueryParser(Version.XXX,"", new KeywordAnalyzer()).parse("content:
the");
as well.

Of cause this would require a lot of method/constructor overloading, but would
make the api more user friendly for those who write some code where the version
don't matter...
Johannes