From: Frank A <fsa...@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Mon, May 31, 2010 6:20:41 PM
Subject: Lucene Newbie Questions

Hello all,
I'm considering Lucene for a specific application and am trying to ensure
that it is the right tool for what I'm trying to accomplish.

At a high level I have a list of restaurants in a database and a list of
tags related to the restaurant (e.g. Italian, Formal, Expensive, etc).  Each
restaurant also has a location (longitude/latitude).

My primary goal using Lucene is to conduct searches where the user can do
things like:

- Misspell the name of the restaurant (by a few chars)
- Type "Italian Food" instead of just Italian or perhaps "Great Italian"
- Or even use some synonyms (e.g. Deli and Delicatessen) - of course I'd
define these terms.

Are these types of use cases something that can be done with Lucene? Or is
there a more appropriate API that I haven't found?

Thanks.