>From a legal/technical perspective, you can either embed Solr or you can use
>it as a WebApp.  I generally suggest that it be used as a separate WebApp, but
>that depends.  I would suggest the following criteria:
1.  Fitness to use cases
2.  Effort to develop/adapt
3.  Ease of deployment
4.  Effort to upgrade/maintain

Solr does "for free" some of the things (like index reopening/Searcher-pattern)
that you would have to handle in your application if you used Lucene.
Depending on how much time you have and how much control you need, that may be
a good or a bad thing.

You should be able to "try both" side-by-side in a few hours (the tutorials are
pretty decent).

-h