No, I don't think so. The critical bit is that the indexed text
does NOT contain the word "formal".  So searching for
any phrase that DOES contain "formal" should fail no matter
what the slop.

Phrase queries are something like "find all the words in this
search string, ignoring some number of intervening tokens not in the
search string". There's nothing in there about "find only some of the
words in the search string"....

I'm guessing that the original post had a typo in the success case,
because it's contradicted by "a peng's" second post. It's always
possible that I'm experiencing a brain short......

Best
Erick