No, I really don't have a good solution off the top of my head, perhaps
others can chime in...

Although I suppose you could fire multiple queries dropping out
some number of search terms, but I don't know whether that
satisfies your requirements. E.g. search the following phrases
"this is a formal test"
"this is a formal"
"this is a test"
"this is formal test"