Hi Ching

  I donot think issue with Lucene for 2000 documents. As Anshum mentioned,
give more details about environment.
And check what CPU usage and index fdt file timestamp while it hangs. And
using logs would help to identify real cause. I used to work with Lucene 2.4
and recently 3.0.2. No similar issues came across and used PDF files with
pdfbox lib too

Regards
Senthil