What version of PDFBox are you running?
PDFBox 0.72 does not work properly with some pdf documents. See more in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-361.
So, I wrote a extractor (a copy of the original, in fact) based on trunk
version (1.2.1, actually). Furthermore, this version is faster e more
efficient than 0.72, preventing from OutOfMemory. Nowadays, I don't use
PDFBox to extract text. I prefer poppler tools.