PhraseQuery suffices for the stated requirement of boosting when query terms
are closer.  A common technique is to incorporate a PhraseQuery with a large
slop factor of the query terms into the query automatically, which implicitly
boosts matching documents when the query terms are closer.  A SpanNearQuery
would work too, but a PhraseQuery might be easier to incorporate and will be
faster performing.

        Erik