On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM, Chris Harris <rygu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alternatively, if you insist that query
>
> merger w/5 (medical and agreement)
>
> should match document "medical x x x merger x x x agreement"
>
> then you can propagate 2x the parent's slop value down to child queries.

This is in fact exactly how we are approximating them. The selling
point was this one:

> * You get a nice 1-to-1 mapping from one subquery to one SpanQuery;
> the output query trees look recognizably parallel to the input
> queries, regardless of query complexity.

The problem with the other "more accurate" transformations at the time
were the explosion of query complexity once users started to combine
them.

Of course, a native SpanAndQuery would allow for a more elegant and
precise 1-to-1 mapping. :)   I even tried to modify one of the
existing span queries to get similar behaviour, but it wasn't easy
enough to get it right.

TX