I think you are looking for FieldCache.

I'm not sure the current status in 4x, but it worked in 2.9/3.x.
Basically it's an array, so access is quite straight forward, and the
best part IndexReader manage those for you, so on reopen only new
segments are read.

Small catch is that FiledCaches are per segment, so you need to be
careful if you want to retrieve data using global document ids.
However if you are building result set in your own Collector, using
FieldCache is quite straight forward.