The release notice for 4.0-alpha sent to this list says "file format
backwards compatibility is provided for indexes from the 3.0 series"
so you won't be able to go straight from 2.x to 4.0.  I'm sure that
will remain true for all 4.x releases.  The comments about waiting for
a stable release of 4.0 surely just reflect the fact that alpha
releases are for testers/early adopters, not customers.

If it was me I'd upgrade to 3.6 now, but paying attention to 4.x as
well in the sense that if you have to change a 2.x call to something
else and have a couple of choices for that, choose the one that will
also work in 4.x.  No idea how often you'll have that choice but
sounds like a good idea.

--
Ian.