I can't answer your questions, but use of lucene's document ids as
persistent ids is strongly discouraged, particularly in version 4.x
where I think it just won't work at all.  There was a related thread a
couple of weeks ago.  See Uwe's message at
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-java-user/201207.mbox/%3C033f01cd606a$1ad94960$508bdc20$%40thetaphi.de%3E
where he says "To uniquely identify documents later you *have* to use
a own key field."

--
Ian.