On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Paul <arach...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

> Some of the stuff I've read suggests that Lucene is not especially
> well-suited to storing the documents. It's supposed to be great at
> indexing those documents, but not so great at storing the docs themselves.

If you think about navigation between documents (logical relations,
graphs), then indeed that's not Lucene's job. Otherwise, I believe
that Lucene does a fine job of storing documents.

> If this is true, then am I right to think that the typical Lucene use case is
>          a. Index a document
>          b. Store in the index some kind of unique document identifier that
> is meaningful to the
>               "native" application
>          c. Search the index, obtain this ID, and present it to the native
> app to fetch the original
>                document?

This use case certainly makes sense, but it's not that simple. Search
results must be presented to the user in an efficient manner, and
usual standards suggest providing a bit of content, with terms
highlighting, spelling suggestions... Without stored (cached) content,
this would imply data retrieval from the live source, which may not be
appropriate (offline data, parsing issues, performance
bottlenecks...).

Regards,
Yep.