you also might like to consider

Jackrabbit: http://jackrabbit.apache.org/

or

Yarep: https://github.com/wyona/yarep

which are both using Lucene for indexing, but the actual data storage is hidden by an abstraction layer and is configurable/customizable.

HTH

Michael

Am 29.03.13 02:24, schrieb Adrien Grand:
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Paul<arach...@gmail.com>  wrote:
Hi,
Hi Paul,

Some of the stuff I've read suggests that Lucene is not especially well-suited
to storing the documents. It's supposed to be great at indexing those
documents, but not so great at storing the docs themselves.

Can someone shed some light on this?
I'd say that it is the same problem as with other databases: The
problem with large stored fields is that they might make the I/O cache
of your operating system go crazy and make search slower. However, if
your fields are small (ie. not high-resolution photos), I think it is
reasonable to store them in the Lucene index, especially now that
Lucene compresses stored fields.

If this is true, then am I right to think that the typical Lucene use case is to
          a. Index a document
          b. Store in the index some kind of unique document identifier that is
meaningful to the
               "native" application
          c. Search the index, obtain this ID, and present it to the native app
to fetch the original
                document?
If you need to store your documents somewhere else anyway, this
approach is good. But you could use Lucene as your primary store as
well.

This came up in the context of trying to compare MongoDB and Lucene. But as I
dug into it I began to think that this might be an apples to oranges
comparison. MongoDB builds indices as you insert documents, but it seems like
Lucene is more about the indexing and less about storing documents.
Lucene being only a library, you might be interested to check out Solr
or ElasticSearch which are more comparable with MongoDB than Lucene.

I hope this helps!