I hope I got all the details right, if I didn't then please clarify. Also,
I haven't read the entire thread, so if someone already suggested this ...
well, it probably means it's the right solution :)

It sounds like you could use Lucene's ParallelCompositeReader, which
already handles multiple IndexReaders that are aligned by their internal
document IDs. The way it would work, as far as I understand your scenario
is something like the following table (columns denote different indexes).
Each index contains a subset of relevant fields, where common contains the
common fields, and each language index contains the respective language
fields.

DocID        LuceneID  Common  English       German        ....
"FirstDoc"   0         A,B,C   EN_words,     DE_words,
                               EN_sentences  DE_sentences
"SecondDoc"  1         A,B,C
"ThirdDoc"   2         A,B,C

Each index can contain all relevant fields, or only a subset (e.g. maybe
not all documents have a value for the 'B' field in the 'common' index).
What's absolutely very important here though is that the indexes are
created very carefully, and if e.g. SecondDoc is not translated into
German, *you must still have an empty document* in the German index, or
otherwise, document IDs will not align.

Lucene does not offer a way to build those indexes though (patches
welcome!!). We've started some effort very long time ago on LUCENE-1879
(there's a patch and a discussion for an alternative approach) as well as
there is a very useful suggestion in ParallelCompositeReader's jdocs (use
LogDocMergePolicy).

One challenge is how to support multi-threaded indexing, but perhaps this
isn't a problem in your application? It sounds like, by you writing that a
user will "download the german index", that the indexes are built offline?

Another challenge is how to control segment merging, so that the *exact
same segments* are merged over the parallel indexes. Again, if your
application builds the indexes offline, then this should be easier to
accomplish.

I assume though that when you index e.g. the German documents, then the
already indexes 'common' fields do not change for a document. If they do,
you will need to rebuild the 'common' index too.

Once you achieve a correct parallel index, it is very easy to open a
ParallelCompositeReader on any subset of the indexes, e.g. Common+English,
Common+German, or Common+English+German and search it, since the internal
document IDs are perfectly aligned.

Shai