> Therefore the DocMap is initialized only when the
> merge actually executes ... what is there more to postpone?

Agreed. However, what I am asking is, if there is an alternative to DocMap,
will that be better? Plz read-on

 And besides, if the segments are already sorted, you should return a
null DocMap,
> like Lucene code does ...

What I am trying to say is, my individual segments are sorted. However,
when a merge combines "N" individual sorted-segments, there needs to be a
global sort-order for writing the new segment. Passing null DocMap won't
work here, no?

DocMap is one-way of bringing the global order during a merge. Another way
is to use something like a MergedIterator<SegmentReader> instead of DocMap,
which doesn't need any memory

I was trying to get a heads-up on these 2 approaches. Please do let me know
if I have understood correctly

--
Ravi