Hi,

I am trying to implement a sort order for search results in Lucene 4.7.2.

If I want to use data for ordering that is not stored in Lucene as Fields, is
there any way this can be done?
Basically, I would have certain data that is associated logically to a document
but stored elsewhere, like a DB. Can I create a Custom Sort function on the
lines of a FieldComparator to sort based on this data by plugging it inside the
sort function?

I have tested the performance of the Sort function for String and numeric
types, and as mentioned in some blog, it seems that the numeric type is much
faster compared to the string type. However, if I sort on a number of fields
from multiple clients, the memory footprint, due to the FieldCache.DEFAULT
impl, increases approximately 5-6 times. If I run this on a machine which does
not have this capacity, will I get a OOM or will there be intense thrashing for
the memory?

Thanks n Regards,
Sandeep Ramesh Khanzode