Thanks for the input. In fact, we are using this very query as a Solr
queryFilter (i.e. qf). Is there a specific (Lucene query) syntax to formulate
(force the usage of) such a FieldValueFilter?

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Ahmet Arslan [mailto:iori...@yahoo.com.INVALID]
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 7. Januar 2015 17:41
An: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Betreff: Re: Looking for docs that have certain fields empty (an/or not set)

Hi Clemens,

Since you are a lucene user, you might be interested in Uwe's response on a
similar topic :
http://find.searchhub.org/document/abb73b45a48cb89e

Ahmet

On Wednesday, January 7, 2015 6:30 PM, Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Should be, but it's a bit confusing because the query syntax is not pure
boolean, so there's no set to take away the docs with entries in field 1, you
need the match all docs bit, i.e.
*:* -field1:[* TO *]

(That's asterisk:asterisk -field1:[* TO *] in case the silly list interprets
the asterisks as markup)

There's some special magic in filter query processing to handle this case, but
not in the main query parser.

Best,
Erick