+1 for starting with unit tests - they show you how things work, give you
something to step through in the debugger, are (or should be!) always
current, and are a great place to start for contributing code, like
improving coverage and optimizing coverage. Commenting code and enhancing
the Javadoc is always a great contribution.

-- Jack Krupansky