You need to supply the definitions of this field from
your schema.xml file, both the <field> and <fieldType>

Additionally, please provide the results of the query
you're trying with &debug=true appended.

The adminUI/analysis page is very helpful in these
situations as well. Select the appropriate core from
the drop-down on the left and you'll see an "analysis"
section appear that shows you exactly what
happens when the field is analyzed.

Best,
Erick