Nevermind, I missed the part about it being a base class for own queries.

Sorry for the confusion!

Am 15.01.2016 um 09:49 schrieb Christoph Kaser:
Isn't that what ConstantScoreQuery does? The only difference is that it returns 1.0f as score instead of 0.0f.

Regards
Christoph

Am 15.01.2016 um 09:27 schrieb Uwe Schindler:
I had the same problem while migrating old code. Filter is very convenient to use, so why is it deprecated? I agree we should convert all internal filters to use this, but people from the outside, that just quickly want to create a Filter based on simple stuff like bitsets, should get an easy api without multi-pass stuff or the need to implement a full scorer returning 0 as score.

So I tend to rename the current filter class as BaseNonScoringQuery. In 5.x keep Filter deprecated (maybe simply as empty abstract subclass of this one).

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
eMail: u...@thetaphi.de

-----Original Message-----
From: Trejkaz [mailto:trej...@trypticon.org]
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2016 1:52 AM
To: Lucene Users Mailing List <java-user@lucene.apache.org>
Subject: Fwd: Replacement for Filter-as-abstract-class in Lucene 5.4?

Hi all.

Filter is now deprecated, which I already knew was in the pipeline.

The docs say:

    "Use Query objects instead: when queries are wrapped in a
     ConstantScoreQuery or in a BooleanClause.Occur.FILTER clause,
     they automatically disable the score computation so the Filter
     class does not provide benefits compared to queries anymore."

That's fair enough and an easy change to do on the caller side.

The other thing we are using Filter for is the other thing it mentions
in the Javadoc:

    "Convenient base class for building queries that only perform
     matching, but no scoring. The scorer produced by such queries
     always returns 0 as score."

What is the new convenient way to implement your own queries that
don't do scoring?

TX