Hi Dmitri,

 As long as you're there and you'll implementing this anyway, why not
 try to implement it for the jdk? You can join the mustang
 development community:
   http://mustang.dev.java.net
 It'd take a while to setup the build environment, but I can point
 you to the right blogs and such..

I'll give it a look. Of course I have to fully implement my in-house stable
version first.
Feel free to send me links or whatever you feel it could be interesting for
me.

> RFE: It would be nice to have a .show(boolean VSynch) in java2d. The
> main
> problem is the CPU load: the caller waits until it gets the vsynch. The
> implementation could setup an event and be signalled when the vsynch
> arrives.

 Well, the users don't complain about this for the full-screen
 BufferStrategy (aka FlipBufferStrategy).

FlipBufferStrategy is already VSynched. BlitBufferStrategy is not. That's
the case I would like to address.

 I don't think asynchronous vsync event is a good idea, though, as it
 typically turns out to be too much hassle and potential
 multithreading issues.

Yes. I try to explain better (oofff). Using a brute-force approach {while
!vblank();} leads to a high CPU load. This could be avoided by "sleeping"
the waiting thread for a moment (some ms for each loop). The dshow
implementation can signal an event. This means that we could be simply
wait() until signalled.

There's a nice article here -> http://www.compuphase.com/vretrace.htm

 Hmm. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

 Do you use BufferStrategy with the same canvas?  Could your
 rendering be overwritten by the contents of the back-buffer?

 Could you try running your app with ddraw disabled
 (-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true)?

 Also, do you add your canvas before or after entering the
 full-screen mode? We do some funny stuff under the covers when
 entering the full-screen mode (especially if you're using Window
 instead of Frame to enter the FS mode).

At the moment I'm not going to spent too much time here as it would be a
very implementation-specific topic.
Even more the fullscreen exclusive mode is not suited for the kind of app
we're going to produce (the "auto-iconify" is too much dangerous in the case
you count on a 24h/24h full screen output).

Anyway I'll take some time to investigate further
with -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true and let you know.

Cheers!

Mik