Hi Ben,

What is the ColorModel in the destination you are rendering to?

What kind of device are you displaying on?

Can you send a test case that demonstrates it?

                       ...jim

Ben Galbraith wrote:
Hi all,

I'm seeking to create a smooth gradient background for a JComponent
that goes from RGB 101, 101, 101 to RGB 130, 130, 130. Of course,
that's only 29 colors, and I'm getting some serious banding when the
JComponent takes up a large space.

Yet, increasing the color range doesn't meet my needs; the contrast
between the dark and light is too harsh.

Do I have any options for smoothing out the gradient? I don't know
much about graphics, so I'm fumbling around in the dark on this one.
Can I switch to some fancy color space that supports thousands of
grays instead of just 256 shades? Am I meant to start dithering?
Should I introduce some color into my gradient to increase the pool
of colors interpolated into the gradient?

Thanks!

Ben