> We currently only worry about dithering on 8-bit
> indexed destinations.
> We have a request outstanding for dithering on
> 15/16-bit displays, but
> we haven't gotten to it.  This would be the first
> request for dithering
> on a TrueColor display.  ;-)

Presumably if you get it working for 15/16-bit then the same algorithm could be
used for 24-bit?

It's actually not unreasonable to dither 24-bit images.  Things like blue skys
and the slight artificial gradients used in modern UIs can look ugly because of
visible banding.  You really notice this sort of thing on slight gradients that
are faded to/from black.

High-end image processing for video and film is occassionaly done with 16-bits
per channel to get around these issues.  Though digital video generally drops
things back to 8-bit per channel, you can at least add dithering at that step
:).

Digital cinema uses 12-bits per channel JPEG-2000, not just because hollywood
types are ignorant about technology... the banding in gradients (often sky and
shadows) would be visible.
[Message sent by forum member 'swpalmer' (swpalmer)]