> I am running Windows XP. The image I was testing with is 185 x 185 pixels (so
> not big).

Interesting. I had similar experience about month ago, but on linux. Since it
was the 64 version I thought it is related to rather imature graphics drivers
and their rendering support on that platform.  Also since running the test I
was able to reduce those times for type 1 images (created by loading
transparent png) by nearly 50% only by tweaking graphics card setting.

Here are some times for different JDKs I got there (testbed for all except last
test was Ubuntu with 2.6.17 kernel, running on Acer Ferrari 3400 (AMD 64bit)):
[pre]
jdk 1.6 x64
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode)
drawImage() Finished with avg for type 0: 20.875 ms, for type 1: 5522.383 ms
and for type 2: 131.428 ms.
jdk 1.6 x32
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode, sharing)
drawImage() Finished with avg for type 0: 13.606 ms, for type 1:   75.116 ms
and for type 2:  15.860 ms.
jdk 1.5 x64
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode)
drawImage() Finished with avg for type 0: 30.743 ms, for type 1: 1213.126 ms
and for type 2:  58.197 ms.

Win XP/Intel:
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode)
drawImage() Finished with avg for type 0:  8.340 ms, for type 1:   82.637 ms
and for type 2:  11.822 ms.
[/pre]

You could clearly see that the windows machine in last test had by far best
results, but also that on same linux results widely varied depending on what
version of JVM was the test executed. I can post whole test case (plus exact
configuration of that linux test machine) in case anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Jan
[Message sent by forum member 'rah003' (rah003)]