I'm looking for a nuts and bolts recipe for bicubic interpolation.

What I know is this:

It interpolates a 4 by 4 pixel region -- after that -- all fog.

I need a simple explanation of all the subscripts and superscripts that
I see in the generalized description of bicubic interpolation.

How do I calculate the coefficients?  Do I do one row at a time then one
column at a time?

There is a ton of stuff on the web but all I've found is the high level
description and no practical application.  I'm a simple guy.  I need
simple talk.

I implemented bilinear interpolation.  That was easy.  Bicubic interpolation
seems overly mysterious.

Ken