On Jun 29, 2007, at 3:56 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I'm writing some nice looking components, or I'm trying to at
least.. Is there any way to affect the anti aliasing "weight" on
normal draws, like lines and the rounded corners of a
RoundRectangle2D?

As far as I know, there is no way to tweak the way our (current)
antialiasing rasterizer produces coverage values.

They are to heavy in general. You can see this for instance in the
roundness of the buttons in the Numbus L&F:

http://galbraiths.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/
controls_regular.png

Look at the third "Close" button from the left in the top row. The
top corners are too thick. This happens only for darker colors though.

Not a very good example, considering that image comes from the Nimbus
spec, which was produced entirely in Photoshop :)

If you show us a simple, pure Java 2D testcase that illustrates your
concerns, we might be able to offer more assistance.

While we are on the subject of gfx and Nimbus. Run the webstart app
and look at the buttons. You'll see the problem with differently
sized corners of RoundeRectangles that I've mentioned several
times. Check the top four buttons in the "Color Chooser" tab and
you'll see what I mean (the corners have different radius).

http://javadesktop.org/swinglabs/demos/nimbus/nimbus.jnlp

I hope these glitches gets fixed soon as it is hard to create high
fidelity stuff that looks as posh as Apples' stuff when the above
problems are present.

That is an older demo; there is plenty more ongoing work with
Nimbus.  If you have specific complaints about Nimbus itself, I
suggest you bring them up on the Nimbus mailing list.

Chris

Btw, this was tested on Windows with Java 1.6.0_01 with the normal
pipeline. And I do off course know about PURE strokes, fractional
metrics and all those kind of rendering hints...
Cheers,
Mikael Grev
[Message sent by forum member 'mikaelgrev' (mikaelgrev)]

the body
of the message "signoff JAVA2D-INTEREST".  For general help, send
email to