So not getting the essential idea here. I change the AT on the G2D to paint
"elsewhere" on the screen, let's just say I have

public void paint() (Graphics g)
{
    yakkity yak yak yak....

    g2d.translate(100,0);
}

That translates the device space 100 pixels over. Great. But the next time I
invoke paint, the device space is back to 0,0, as if I never told the graphics
to move over 100 pixels.

So I thought if I want to permanently change the device space on the g2d I use
setTranslation(100,0)
 but the same thing happens...

So it seems that no matter what I do, the device space of the g2d will always
be 0,0 when paint is invoked again- I can't permanently move the device space
of the g2d. But then the question arises- how do I know when the device space
is reset? At the end pf paint? Can this be an accurate description of how this
all works?

I know I must have it all wrong, but what am I not understanding? Feel free to
hold forth with anything useful.
[Message sent by forum member 'swv' (swv)]