[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi,
We are happy with our application's performance on a 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 machine with Windows operating system.We are using direct draw pipeline with 32 bits Java 1.6.0-b105. But our application does not benefit from hardware accelerated graphics, disabling direct draw pipeline does not have much effect. Problem is, on Netra 240 (2 x 1.5Ghz core & Solaris 10) our application performs 3 times slower. Enabling OpenGL pipeline makes things worse. This machines has XVR-600 graphics card which is expected to support OpenGL pipeline. In some other none-graphic operations this machines performs very well. I do not think that expensive machines are that worse and we should be doing something wrong. I have tried nearly everything mentioned in Java2D Troubleshooting Guide. Currently we can not meet customer requirements on this platform. What we can do to increase our performance on Solaris & Sparc environment? Thanks. I have collected following data on Netra 240. We are using 32bits JDK1.6.0 b105 on Solaris 10. PS: We are using RGB images with Alpha Channel.

  You have mentioned that you have tried stuff from the troubleshooting guide.
  So I assume you've tried
    -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false
  Or env. variable J2D_PIXMAPS=shared

  Did these have any effect?

  Does your application display to the local X server or a remote one?

  Also, have you tried more recent Java versions? We have put
  a fix into one of the update releases which could improve your
  case.

  Also, is the system fully patched? If you're saying that the application
  behaves better on other solaris systems, there may be something
  with the driver.

  Thanks,
    Dmitri

Output from J2D_TRACE_LEVEL
GLXGC_FindBestVisual: scn=0
GLXGC_InitGLX
OGLFuncs_OpenLibrary
OGLFuncs_InitPlatformFuncs
OGLFuncs_InitBaseFuncs
OGLFuncs_InitExtFuncs
GLXGC_InitGLX: client GLX version=1.3 Sun OpenGL 1.5 patch 120812-12 for Solaris
GLXGC_InitFBConfig: scn=0 vis=0x0
[V] candidate fbconfigs:
[V] id=0x2d db=0 alpha=0 depth=32 stencil=8 valid=false (linear visual)
[V] id=0x27 db=0 alpha=0 depth=32 stencil=8 valid=true
[V] id=0x2c db=1 alpha=0 depth=32 stencil=8 valid=false (linear visual)
[V] id=0x29 db=0 alpha=0 depth=32 stencil=8 valid=false (large depth)
[V] id=0x26 db=1 alpha=0 depth=32 stencil=8 valid=false (large depth)
[V] id=0x2b db=0 alpha=8 depth=32 stencil=8 valid=false (linear visual)
[V] id=0x28 db=1 alpha=0 depth=32 stencil=8 valid=false (large depth)
[V] id=0x2a db=1 alpha=8 depth=32 stencil=8 valid=false (linear visual)
GLXGC_FindBestVisual: chose 0x27 as the best visual for screen 0
GLXGraphicsConfig_getGLXConfigInfo
GLXGC_InitFBConfig: scn=0 vis=0x27
[V] candidate fbconfigs:
[V] id=0x27 db=0 alpha=0 depth=32 stencil=8 valid=true
OGLContext_IsExtensionAvailable: GL_ARB_multitexture=false
OGLContext_IsExtensionAvailable: GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two=false
OGLContext_IsExtensionAvailable: GL_ARB_texture_rectangle=false
OGLContext_IsExtensionAvailable: GL_EXT_framebuffer_object=false
OGLContext_IsExtensionAvailable: GL_ARB_fragment_shader=false
GLXGraphicsConfig_getGLXConfigInfo: OpenGL version=1.3 Sun OpenGL 1.5 patch
120812-12 for Solaris
OpenGL pipeline enabled for default config on screen 0
Installed OpenGL Related Libraries, I think they are 64 bits:
Fujitsu OpenGL for Solaris Runtime Libraries, Sun OpenGL for Solaris Runtime
Libraries
, XScreenSaver OpenGL display mode modules.
J2D_TRACE_LEVEL=count
2 calls to sun.java2d.loops.MaskFill::MaskFill(AnyColor, SrcOver, ByteGray)
5069 calls to sun.java2d.loops.MaskFill::MaskFill(AnyColor, SrcOver, IntArgb)
51 calls to sun.java2d.loops.Blit::Blit(IntArgb, SrcNoEa, IntArgbPre)
46112 calls to sun.java2d.loops.Blit$GeneralMaskBlit::Blit(IntArgb,
SrcOverNoEa, IntArgb)
1616 calls to sun.java2d.loops.TransformHelper::TransformHelper(IntArgb,
SrcNoEa, IntArgbPre)
51 calls to sun.java2d.opengl.OGLSurfaceToSurfaceBlit::Blit("OpenGL Surface", AnyAlpha,
"OpenGL Surface")
105 calls to OGLFillRect
51 calls to sun.java2d.opengl.OGLGeneralBlit::Blit(Any, AnyAlpha, "OpenGL
Surface")
84000 calls to sun.java2d.loops.DrawLine::DrawLine(AnyColor, SrcNoEa, AnyInt)
1293 calls to sun.java2d.loops.MaskFill::MaskFill(AnyColor, AnyAlpha, IntArgb)
40400 calls to sun.java2d.loops.FillSpans::FillSpans(AnyColor, SrcNoEa, AnyInt)
1616 calls to sun.java2d.loops.OpaqueCopyAnyToArgb::Blit(Any, SrcNoEa, IntArgb)
46112 calls to sun.java2d.loops.MaskBlit::MaskBlit(IntArgb, SrcOver, IntArgb)
326900 calls to sun.java2d.loops.DrawGlyphList::DrawGlyphList(AnyColor,
SrcNoEa, AnyInt)
553378 total calls to 14 different primitives
ogl_install_check on solaris

Sun Microsystems: ogl_install_check 64-bit
OpenGL Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
OpenGL API Standard Version: 1.3
OpenGL Vendor Product Info: Sun OpenGL 1.5 patch 120812-12 for Solaris
OpenGL Renderer: Sun XVR-600, VIS
OpenGL Extension Support: GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
GL_ARB_texture_compression
GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
GL_ARB_texture_env_add
GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar
GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix
GL_EXT_abgr
GL_EXT_blend_color
GL_EXT_blend_func_separate
GL_EXT_blend_logic_op
GL_EXT_blend_minmax
GL_EXT_blend_subtract
GL_EXT_convolution
GL_EXT_gradient_clear
GL_EXT_histogram
GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
GL_EXT_polygon_offset
GL_EXT_rescale_normal
GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
GL_EXT_texture3D
GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
GL_HP_convolution_border_modes
GL_HP_occlusion_test
GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp
GL_SGI_color_table
GL_SGI_texture_color_table
GL_SUNX_constant_data
GL_SUNX_surface_hint
GL_SUN_blend_src_mult_dst_alpha
GL_SUN_convolution_border_modes
GL_SUN_get_texture_memory_size
GL_SUN_global_alpha
GL_SUN_mesh_array
GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays
GL_SUN_targeted_texture
GL_SUN_vertex
OpenGL GLX Extensions: GLX_ARB_multisample
GLX_EXT_visual_info
GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
GLX_SGI_make_current_read
GLX_SUN_disable_xinerama
GLX_SUN_get_transparent_index
GLX_SUN_init_threads
OpenGL GLX Client Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
OpenGL GLX Client Version: 1.3 Sun OpenGL 1.5 patch 120812-12 for Solaris
OpenGL GLX Client Extensions: GLX_ARB_multisample
GLX_EXT_visual_info
GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
GLX_SGI_make_current_read
GLX_SGI_video_sync
GLX_SUNX_dri
GLX_SUN_disable_xinerama
GLX_SUN_get_transparent_index
GLX_SUN_init_threads
OpenGL GLX Server Vendor: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
OpenGL GLX Server Version: 1.3 Sun OpenGL 1.5 patch 120812-12 for Solaris
OpenGL GLX Server Extensions: GLX_ARB_multisample
GLX_EXT_visual_info
GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
GLX_SGI_make_current_read
GLX_SUN_disable_xinerama
GLX_SUN_get_transparent_index
GLX_SUN_init_threads
OpenGL GLU Version: 1.3 Sun OpenGL 1.5 patch 120812-12 for Solaris
OpenGL GLU Extensions: GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator
GLU_EXT_object_space_tess
OpenGL GLX Server: Detail Status Report
GLX: Context is direct.
GLX: OpenGL Rendering in use
GLX: Double Buffering in use
GLX: Color Buffer (GLX_BUFFER_SIZE) = 24 bits
GLX: Depth Buffer (GLX_DEPTH_SIZE) = 32 bits
GLX: Stencil Buffer (GLX_STENCIL_SIZE) = 8 bits
GLX: RGBA (True Color/Direct Color) Visual in use
GLX: Video Refresh Rate is Unknown
GLX: Visual Gamma Value = 2.22
GLX: Video Resize Capability Flag = 0
OpenGL Library: Detail Status Report
Number of color bits (R/G/B/A): 8/8/8/0
Frame Buffer Depth (GL_DEPTH_BITS): 32
Colour Torus (outer): 1620 quad polygons
Monochrome Torus (inner): 72 quad polygons
Sun Microsystems OpenGL for Solaris Interactive verification
Begin calibration cycle. This takes about 5.00 seconds.
This test will draw 380 frames in one cycle of 3D rotations.
Press any key in OpenGL window, for next cycle of 3D rotations.
Press "Q", "q" or (ESC) in OpenGL window, to exit program.

380 frames in 6.29 seconds -- 60.42 FPS
380 frames in 6.26 seconds -- 60.69 FPS

End of 64-bit ogl_install_check program.
Thank you for using Sun Microsystems OpenGL for Solaris software.
[Message sent by forum member 'denizoguz' (denizoguz)]