Paul Gordon wrote:

Fair enough.  What about normal mapping (ie, an RGB image where pixels
represent a normal vector at a a given texture coordinate)?  This
strikes me as an extremely useful feature which is starting to get wide
usage.

Ah yes, this is in fact what I am describing.  The program is fed a
graphic where the difference in greyscale intensities corresponds to the
displacement in the z axis of the points of a triangle representing the
3D surface.  Multiply the triangle normal by a light vector for each
triangle and you get the highlights/shades corresponding to the bumps.
I've got this down pat. You need to use DOT3 combine mode to applying
this light effects map to the object's existing appearance, but this is
where is fails, giving you a very funky but very incorrect result.

Normal mapping is different from this.  Rather than a greyscale image
that fakes extra height, normal maps provide more information, giving
you a normal vector on a per pixel basis.  It provides a much more
realistic effect than simple bump mapping.

Here's one of the better demonstrations I've found.  It has a very low
poly model that after mapping looks almost raytraced.

http://www.drone.org/tutorials/normal_maps.html

Mark McKay
--
http://www.kitfox.com