Been asking that question for a very long time myself, the answers
usually revolve around:

- Denial and lack of understanding/exposure to a component model
(Example:
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/hansmuller/archive/2007/01/property_syntax.html).
- Conservatism and NIH politics (Example:
http://java.sun.com/docs/white/delegates.html).
- Complexity and a painful devotion to backwards compatibility.
- Bureaucracy and a celebration/cultivation of ceremony/theory over
concrete/pragmatic.

...though it's been getting slightly less unpopular to point these
things out over the last couple of years.

/Casper