I'd be very happy for my daughter to pick up some scientific or IT-type
work, but so far I haven't been too successful. Maybe it is because
she's not even 3 yet :-) But she got her first computer around her
second birthday -- not a Barbie one but an old Pentium II with KDE on
it, icons scaled up until they are really big and all mouse buttons
mapped to button 1. She likes watching me use it, but she doesn't want
to interact with it herself.

Obviously that's starting quite early and I didn't really expect much
enthusiasm yet -- the main reason for building her PC (and her special
computer desk) was that I had that old machine without a purpose. But
while I'd enjoy her doing something close to my heart, I don't think I'd
ever push anything onto her. If she likes playing dress-up (and she
does), then she shall. If she wants a career in sports, then she shall
(that's far from my heart).

My main educational goals are a certain level of general smartness and
independence. Sometimes I feel too successful in the latter ("Go away,
Papa!"), but I'm certainly not trying to manipulate her into following
my footsteps. I didn't follow my parents either. But then: it's a long
way down the track for us.

Having said that: I'd personally love to see more women in IT. The once
I've worked with tended to be very good colleagues. Not counting admin
staff my ratio over the years is probably around the 15:1 mark, which I
consider reasonably good in this line of work. And BTW: I also noticed
(similarly to some other poster) that a lot of them were more in the
managerial positions.

I'll wait another decade or so to see what my little girl will be doing.
I'm sure it's going to be interesting in many senses of that word :-)

  Peter