[could be: "Passion in IT" ;-)]

Whenever someone I talk to gives the impression they think IT is boring
I try to give them an idea of the impact you can have doing it -- mostly
because that's what drives me. I'm no rockstar programmer, but there are
two little stories I like to tell, and I mostly tell them to the non-IT
folks since the people I work with know what it is about without the
need for stories.

Story number 1 is about breadth: one of the systems I designed is a
routing/dispatch system for the telematic solution of a large German car
manufacturer. That means that in future years whenever a car of that
manufacturer breaks down (at least the high-end models) it'll phone home
and talk to the backend servers by way of some software and protocols I
was heavily involved in. So in a small way I helped thousands of people
to figure out why their car broke down faster.

Story number 2 is about depth and much more important for me. It's about
jobbing as a student and helping some guy who was blind due to a lack of
oxygen supply while being in a coma. That was 2 years after his
motorbike accident causing the whole story. I helped him setting up his
computer with speech synthesis, scanner, OCR and customized Word
templates so that in the end he was capable to fetch his mail from the
postbox, scan it, write an answer, print it, stick it in a windowed
envelope and bring it to the post office. Being able to manage his own
mail again was a major step for him and I still get teary thinking about
the way I felt about helping him improve his life.

I believe that if we start thinking about it we probably all find some
stories where we felt we had a real positive impact on someone. And I
believe that is a good way to get people into our field: in the end it
is not about bits and bytes, it is about improving someone's life. You
might never meet that person, but you still know you did it.

What we do is awesome and it's time we tell people :-)

See http://barefootmeg.multiply.com/video/item/56 for some more examples
of how IT changed our lives -- and that is a bit of a hijack :-)

  Peter