Alex, you haven't explained how we can migrate list safely, then.

If lots and lots of legacy code cannot accept new-style lists, then
trying to integrate with the older code is going to be a very
frustrating exercise.

Which brings us back to my original point:

Modularization is very cool, and we really need it, but without some
serious wrapping/view/translation tricks, modularization is not going
to allow us to fix bad core API. Some work on the fringe might be
possible if sun is okay with losing backwards compatibility in very
rare circumstances.