I recall working with a Unix admin who you would put in the hardcore
category.

Very skilled, very proud, very unforgiving of anything that wasn't
Linux.

Hated the stuff we ran on Java, loved the stuff we ran on PHP.

Why?  PHP ran on Apache, it had plain text file config files, appeared
fast, could be easily monitored, started and stopped quickly, had
familiar experience for adding HTTPS, logging config etc etc etc.

Hated Java because it wasn't in his base distribution, ran on
Glassfish/Tomcat, need a web config consoles or XML file editing,
seemed complicated, ate large quantities of his systems RAM, took up
lots of disk space, and froze or hung often (bad third party app).

Ergo, he wasn't about to start running desktop Java apps after his
experience on the server side.
And I will take a stab and say the vast majority of desktop Linux
users run server side Linux as well.

I'd say the whole app server thing probably has a large influence on
peoples opinions on the java as a RIA and java on the desktop in the
Linux community.