Well, what other language should be used? The internet grew up in
english speaking countries, and soon expanded to places where english
was the most commonly known non-native language (not neccessarily
universally second, but, of all languages, the odds that a random Joe
Q. European is at least passable capable of understanding one, is
highest for english).

The only other option I can think of is to officialize the
jargonization process and run with something like interlingua, latin,
or esperanto, and make up words with abandon. That's a little too
geeky in my book.

So, if not english, then what?

NB: In regards to programming symbols: Seriously, now you're just
whining. What else did you want? A localization for compilation so you
can use a ß instead of a open brace? That would look crazy ugly, and
is fantastically inpractical. We have 3 matched bracing symbols that
are somewhat easy to type (on ANY keyboard, not just US 101), and we
generally need all of them when designing programming languages,
unless you're a badass like McCarthy and decide you can make it work
with just 1 pair. You're ostensibly a nerd with some technical prowess
if you're into programming, so fix your keyboard layout, or just do
what everyone else (and yourself do), and just roll with us 101.
Incidentally, I can type german and french very very well on apple's
layout system, which has an extra meta-key which is pretty much 100%
reserved for typing special symbols. ringel-S (ß) is alt+s, umlauts
(ë) is alt+u, vowel, The euro € is alt+shift+2, the pound £ is alt+3
(inconsistent, but, nobody's perfect, unfortunately), the inverse
exclamation mark ¡ is alt+1 (note how sensical that is), and something
like the c-cedille is alt+c (ç). There you have it, an international
(at least, for western languages) keyboard layout that works well for
everybody, in any locale, and even for programmers. Just use that.

An alternative way of looking at it: Programmers need symbols. English
is 'lucky', in that writers only need 26+26+10 symbols to take care of
their needs, which leaves ample space for dedicated keys for symbols,
so one keyboard can suffice for BOTH purposes. Other languages aren't
so lucky, and the default keyboards there ship geared towards writers.
i18n programmers are generally responsible for localizing the software
experience, and note how NONE OF THEM decided to design an alternative
localized keyboard layout that was geared more towards programming
symbols. Instead, they adopted US 101 and where needed designed sane
keyboard shortcuts to type commonly used symbols in their language
that aren't common in english. I can't find any fault whatsoever in
this choice. If you do, I'd be interested to hear how it could have
been done better.

-- Reinier "English is certainly not my native language" Zwitserloot