I've remarked that if programmers wrote literature all you'd get is a
set of unique words and a reference numbers telling you the placement
of each word in the text - on the basis that this is a more efficient
way of handling the book (no redundant words!)

Luckily for the worlds art and culture, we're not involved in the
design...